Collection: Part 3

Reflection part 3

16/04/18

Today we did our final evaluations, that reflect on our final project and our outcomes, and whether we are happy with it, I feel that my outcome could have been stronger if I chose a different site, but I am happy with the design of my final model, and the research that went into it. To finish this project I still have to:

• Create design sheets on materials
  • finish sticking pictures into sketchbook of site breakdown.

Final renderings

Final renderings

Photographers images of final model

Photographers images of final model

Final model

Final model

Final model

11/04/18

Continuing on from yesterday, I was intending to add the surrounding buildings on to my model in order to show the different heights of the surrounding landscape. However, when I thought about it, if I put in the surrounding buildings then this would block out the view of my model for when I would get pictures from the photographer tomorrow. Because of this I decided to just show a plan of the buildings on the base to show the space that they occupy and the layout. This allowed me to show both the site and also my model, allowing me to get a good range of photographs from different angles, as well as close ups in order to make the visualisation more realistic.

I then also started to produce some more design sheets of my previous models, and once I photographer photographs my model I will use a combination of his shots and mine in order to produce visualisations with people in them, showing both the scale of my designed also how it is used, as I want to also demonstrate the rooftop bar, which may not be clear on my model.

10/04/18

Today I started working on my final model, which I will do onto an A1 black mount board, so that the white foam board and card that I will use to make my model will stand out. I also Chose this size so that I could get in the surrounding landscape to give my model some context.

I started by printing out a map of my site onto four pieces of A3 tracing paper, and then sticking them onto an A1 paper so that they formed an A1 sized map. From her I cut the building outlines out, then placed the map over my base and stuck the building back in its slot, so that it was stuck on the base. This allowed me to accurately place all the building outlines onto the base, which gave me a starting point to build up from. Next to Shoreditch highstreet station is a raised mound of each which the underpass goes through, which is the first thing I put on the map. I did this by layering foam-board on top of one another to create the height, leaving a gap for the overpass. I then covered it in green card to show that it wasn't a building but earth.

I then proceeded to make the station, making the railway line as a separate component that I would add later. I started off by making the curved pillars, and then made the walls of the station. I also included interior details, such as the flowing ribbon-like lines that form the entrance to the underground. I found the next step hard to do, as all the components rely on each other for support, and are attached to one another, so it was hard to assemble one at a time. I started by threading the band through the station, then lining up one of the holes that would have the walkway through it. I then laid the railway on and assembled all the pieces to gather to create my design. I decided not to make the surrounding buildings, as this would've blocked out my model when taking photos, so I instead left their outlines on the base to give an idea of the surrounding area.

I still need to annotate my sketchbook to show more of how the interiors work, and demonstrate the fact that  the underground is connected to the station. I also need to produce design sheets showing my model development and final outcome.

Paper sketch model of initial idea

Paper sketch model of initial idea

Paper sketch model of initial idea

Paper sketch model of initial idea

Paper sketch model of initial idea

20/03/18

Today we were given the task of hypothetically completing our projects with in a day, so that at the end of the day it would force us to have a final outcome, and we could then use this as starting point for all other models, and progress from there.

I decided to produce site measurements in order to make a site model, using the digimaps measuring tool to measure the various lengths. However, I was unable to measure the height using this method, so I had to look at the pictures I had taken, and use the estimated hight of the people in the pictures to work out the height of the station. I was also looking at projects that were near my site area, and using their design and access statements and proposals to get  plans of the area. One project I was looking was planning to renovate the disused green space at the back of my site, and so all of their site analysis and proposal was very similar to my site, and two therefore I found it relevant, as they highlighted the different transport routes, and access to local areas. I now need to take this site analysis and start producing some ideas based on this, as well as 3D outcomes.

Hat reflection

15/03/18

Today we had an interim exhibition in 3DDA, between JFFA, PDC, and ASD, to showcase to each area what point everyone is at in their project. For this we had to present any models that we had made, as well as design sheets, and our sketchbook. We were then asked to walk round each pathway and view everyones work, then we gathered in our pathway groups to give critical feedback about that area, as well as select certain students from each pathway to talk more about their work. 

The overall feedback for ASD was that we needed to do more experimentation with 3D models and materials, but the other pathways said that our visualisation were very good. When looking around at everyone else's work, I was able to see that many people in the different pathways had experimented with a range of materials through test pieces and samples, and also had evidence of who their user or client was, and how their design was suited to them. However, they didn't give any indication as to the location of their designs, in terms of what environment it would be in. We also had various students explain their work, as we didn't fully understand the concept, or perhaps wanted to know a bit more about the thought process behind it.

This exhibition was very useful to me, as it allowed me to see what point I am in my project in comparison to not just people on ASD, but to see the whole of 3DDA, and see how different people create their own briefs. This made me realise my weaknesses and strengths, as well as what I need to do to catch up on certain areas. From this I have realised that I need to have some more design sheets, as well as more 3D outcomes and experiments with materials, I also need to fill up my sketchbook.

12/03/18

Had my progress tutorial, where I discussed my project with my tutors, as well as my university choices for degree. I found this talk very helpful, as I had not developed a detailed idea of the final outcome of my project; I only had a general idea of the direction I wanted to take my project, which was to look at transport and urban design in a city. having spoke with my tutor, he tried to refine my idea into specific terms, by seeing I wanted to design something on the street, or an actual building, and whether or not the area would be too large scale for a foundation project. Through this discussion we found out my aims for the project, which was to look at possible future transportation methods, and instead of approaching the project from an urban design point of view, I looked at creating a building, such as a station, that is connected to all these different modes of transportation to allow easy access for people, for quicker connections.

We established that the idea would be to take an existing station, and then think about the future technology of driverless cars and drones, and how all these transportation method can be accessed in one place. This allows a person different types of travel:

• Nationally and internationally, via Eurostar and overground rail
  • regionally, via underground and drones
  • locally, via driverless cars and bicycles and buses
  • immediate surroundings by walking

We discussed the idea of having a driverless car carpark, and a place where drones could be landed built onto the existing station, with a design to create links to the various other forms of existing transport. I now need to gather primary and secondary images for my site, which my tutor suggested should be Shoreditch highstreet.

experiments with scale

experiments with scale

Pattern making model

Pattern making experiments

27/03/18

We were asked to bring in 10 pictures from our research, and organise them with other peoples pictures by placing them under similar groups and categories. For this, we used the groups we were already divided into, which separated us based on the ideas of our projects. In our groups we grouped our photos across different labels, such as the properties or our research, like light, nature, movement, and materials. With the pictures placed to the nearest word, creating a visual graph that plotted and organised our research. This allowed us to visually understand our overall group research, and the ideas behind everyones projects, to see if we had any overlapping areas of research, and could learn from one-another.

research image grouping

research image grouping

research image grouping

Elevated materials model

Elevated sketch model

Communal sketch model

Linear sketch model

21/02/18

Continuing on with my research, I went to the CSM library in order to research into my topic area. As I started to search for books, I realised there were other areas that related to my area of interest, and that also combined different areas of history, philosophy, politics, and ideologies, such as Utopianism. After reading some of the books I particularly liked looking at the historic period of industrialisation, and how Architects were trying to rethink the way cities were structured and transport worked as buildings got taller, and more people were coming to the city. One of these books was 'Ideal cities: Utopianism and the (Un)Built environment, where it showed how Architects such as Le Corbusier were starting to come up with ideas about how cities should be laid out, and how people can be transported around it.

I also found books on how the various developments that have been made with transportation and the buildings that surround them. This book also contained diagrams that helped me to see how people move in and around the building and the surrounding area. I particularly liked how this book was able to link transport and buildings together, something which I am keen to look at for my project.

Having researched buildings and transport, I now need to look into technologies and smart materials in order to have a better understanding of how this can be applied to cities and transport. I also may need to get a background of how technology has been used in cities, such as smart cities.

9/02/18

Continuing with visiting galleries and exhibitions, I visited the Tate Modern, and the Beasley's Designs of the year exhibition at the Design Museum.

Having been to the Tate before, most of the artworks I had previously seen, but it was different to try and think of them in terms of my ideas and proposal, and how they can influence this. one of the exhibitions I felt closely linked with my project was the Living cities exhibition, where artists take the urban environment around them use it as inspiration for their art. This particularly appealed to me, as the art I was seeing had direct cultural and political references to my own ideas for my project, such as Steven Shore's 'American Surfaces', where he would show snapshots of American life in the towns and cities he passed on his journey, showing how these places shaped his journey.

I felt that the most interesting and relevant exhibition was the Design Museum, as this contained work much more directly relevant to my area of interest in the Architecture category; but there were other categories of different types of design that I found very interesting, specifically Transport design, and looking at future technologies and materials in design. This exhibition showcased various types of designs, at all different types of scales, with many looking at and improving deprived or poor communities through buildings or transport. These projects were directly linked with my own idea of how we can use technology and materials to connect communities together, and can and will be used in research to develop my understanding of this area.

From this, I will start to research more into this area, as well as looking into the designers other work, so that I can gather more sources of information.

22/02/18

I used today to listen to talks and lectures based around urban design and transportation systems in cities. one of these talks was given was by Urban designer Peter Calthorpe, as he highlights his 7 Principles for building better cities, where he highlight the importance of dense, mix used areas, with an emphasis on creating streets which are vehicle free, and put more emphasis on walking ,cycling, and public transport. One of his proposals for the city of Chongqing was to create a transport system with regular stations around the city, so that everyone was in walking distance of a station. This helped promote walking and public transport, as well as reducing the number of cars on the road, therefor decreasing the pollution. I found his interest in how the transportation systems of a city can have a knock-on effect for so many other aspects of the city, such as pollution, health, and the economy. He also argues that the answer to easing congestion its to get rid of all cars and rely on public transport, as he argues that the futuristic technology of driverless cars, which we are already seeing developments on, will actually make the streets more congested.

I also watched another talk given by Parag Khanna, on how mega cities will start to shape the world, which shows how larger cities will start to impact the economies of the countries. He also points out that the most growth will be seen in developing countries, as they start to urbanise, and with their vast increasing population, will take up more urban space. he looks at cities not from a design point of view but from an economic, geographical, and political point of view, which I found interesting as he describes how they can benefit the economy and how its citizens can benefit as well through its energy and communication networks, as well as schemes set up to help different groups of people. He argues that cities can actually shape the future, instead of countries and governments, by sharing new technologies and ways of sustaining growth and becoming environmentally friendly. he weighs up the current economic climate and shows how a growing GDP can be put back into infrastructure.

Both these talks were interesting to learn both the political and design based factors that go into the layout and function of cities, and I will continue to research both into the speakers and their ideas.

14/04/18

I further developed my design sheets, creating site analysis of my new design and how it would fit into the wider context, and the different forms of transport connected to it. I also tried to render my design into the environment to put it in context by taking a low tech approach, and cutting my model out and placing it onto my site. I still need to produce more sheets to show my thought process.

Final renderings

13/04/18

I produced visualisations of my model, placing scale figures both on the ground as well as on the rooftop bar to show that it can be accessed, as well as including the forms of transport to demonstrate the purpose and function of my model. I feel that these help better demonstrate how my model would be used, and the scale of it. I also created design sheets on my final model and idea development, as well as recording the different types of transport that could be accessed in my sketchbook.

Photographers images of final model

Photographers images of final model

Final model

final model

12/04/18

Today was the day we photographed our models, which were done by the professional photographer. Overall, I am happy with how my model turned out, as I feel that it demonstrates my idea well with a level of accuracy, and also gives context to the surrounding environment. The photographs that the photographer produced were of good quality, and directed by me as to which shots I wanted. However as both my model and the backdrop were both white, I found it hard to distinguish my model from the background in the pictures, and had to edit them so that this was visible. I think that my use of card on the model was a good choice as it gave it flexibility which I wanted, and also allowed curves. I now need to produce visualisations of my model to include scale figures and the different modes of transport.

9/04/18

Reflective review 2018:

• Research: I feel that overall my research has been strong, as I have looked into different areas and angle's surrounding my project, such as political points of view, by looking at Sadiq Khan's manifesto for Londons transport, to also looking at how cities and transport play an important part in the function and economics of not just the city, but globally. I found this to be and interesting and important aspect of the project, by researching the local area and seeing the political impact that my design will have. As well as this, I also looked into the design aspect of my project, researching different designers such as Aldo Van Eyck, who I came to know through doing an exercise in foundation, by looking at patterns. This has come to inspire both my initial sketch models and my final idea, looking into cutting patterns into the panels and constructing my designs from there. I also looked into urban design and how transport can be introduced onto the streets, as well as different types of future transports that we need to adapt for, which is where my idea to create a transport hub for all forms of transport came from. However, I feel that I need a wider variety of design inspirations from Architects, as well as other disciplines outside of architecture that I can draw inspiration from, and needed to look at more buildings and designs to help shape my opinion.
  • Idea Development: To develop my idea, I used my sketch models that I had made to help give me a starting point on my design, which I then developed to suit the needs of my site, taking key aspects such as curves and patterns, and then trying to put those elements into my design. My main inspiration came from an exercise we did, in which we replicated Aldo Van Eyck's style and process by drawing out patterns, and then turning them into 3D models. I found that I really liked this approach to designing, However, I feel that I had a narrow-minded approach in terms of exploring different styles, options, and approaches to designing, and reflecting upon this I would've liked to explore other designers and methods, in order to have a wider variety of ideas. As well As this the scale of my idea was challenged and altered throughout experimentation, as I started off looking at transportation on an urban city scale, then reducing it down to a local scale, until finally I settled on a transportation hub with connections to the city.
  • Making: I feel that my model making has been one of the weaker areas for my final project, as I think that I haven't experimented enough with materials, mainly making my models out of paper and foam-board. I think that I should've experimented with materials such as metal and concrete, but I did create a test piece made from wood and plastic, which I had heated and bent into shape to resemble overhead motorways. With my final model, I made out of card and foam board, using the card as it was able to ben and curve, which is what I needed for the pillars and other aspects of my model, that would bend to form the loops and curves. I used foam board to create the overground railway line that runs through Shoreditch. I feel that my final design gives an element of precision and accuracy in showing how my idea would look in context. I decided to leave the surround buildings out, except for box park, so that I would be able to photograph my model.
  • Tutor advice: My tutors advice has been very useful in helping me to decide my site and what type of project mine was going to be, as well as helping me determine the scale of my site. Through progress tutorials and signups during different stages of my project, They were able to help me put my interest in urban transportation into a physical site where this could be seen, which was through Shoreditch Highstreet Station.

5/04/18

After coming up with initial ideas for my design, I then started to create a sketch model based of these drawings, using white paper to demonstrate the form of the building and railway line. I decided to replace the horizontal and vertical lines with curves, so that pillars and columns were curved loops, that all fed into the station. I also created cover for the underpass so that it could be accessed during all weather conditions, as well as a direct link from the bus stop to inside the station, which is also under shelter. On top of the railway is a rooftop bar with views over box park, encouraging people to stay longer at the station instead of just walking through it. I have also opened up the space which will let more light in, and also connected the central line underground to the station, creating an entrance point in the middle of the station leading underground. having done this model, I feel confident in creating my final model as I have been able to visualise my idea better, and can now adjust it and make alteration to areas that don't quite fit.

Paper sketch model of initial idea

Paper sketch model of initial idea

Paper sketch model of initial idea

4/04/18

Using previous sketch models and designs I have made, I started to combine this with my site analysis to produce some initial ideas for the station. To do this I printed of my own pictures of the station, as well as zoomed out pictures of the overall area on google maps, then placed tracing paper over the top and drew out my new design, using both interior and exterior shots, and annotating my drawings. 

My previous sketch models hod look at using Aldo Van Eyck's style of patterns to create shapes that for a space or building. The models I had produced involved a lot of curves and loops, which I thought created interesting shapes that could be used as tunnels for a train station, as shown by my previous drawings and renderings of my models. I decided to take this idea and apply it to Shoreditch Highstreet station, creating a more free flowing design that organically manages to spread out and contain all types of transport within it. I  also decided to expand thee us of the transport hub further by creating a rooftop bar that looks over box park and London, meaning that the station becomes not just a place where people are entering and leaving, but a place where they can stay, eat, drink, and enjoy the views.

However, I feel that I also need to produce a 3D sketch model of this idea in order to visualise the idea better and produce visualisations from it

22/03/18

Using my site research an analysis, I started to come up with initial ideas as to the redesign of Shoreditch high-street station. My design looked into connecting Shoreditch hughstreet station with the nearby bus stop and central line that runs underneath. From this I realised that in order to produce my final models and visualisations of my design, I would have to show the site through a section as well as a model, in order to show how it was connected to the underground, as well as the overground design.

I initially struggled to come up with initial ideas for my final design, looking at inspiration from previous research and sketch models. However, I struggled to imagine these designs in the place of my site, and also how

Hat reflection

19/03/18

Today we used the first half of the morning to reflect on our the current stage of our projects, using different 'hats' to look at our projects through different critical angles. The hats were as follows:

• White - facts: what will work, what things are certain?
  • Red - emotional:  emotional problems or worries, how will people react to the design?
  • Black - negative attitude: look at your project defensively and critically, what are the weak points?
  • Yellow - positive attitude: benefits of the project
  • Green - curiosity: alternative variations of the idea
  • Blue - planning and control: co-ordination and next steps

From this we were able to analyse our projects through different angles, both identifying the strong parts of our projects, and also the weak areas and things we were still unsure of. This has given me a basis of things to improve, as well as planning and the next steps of my project.

In the afternoon we then worked on our projects, which I used to develop some further site maps to highlight the different transport routes through the station and the area. My next steps for this project are to start producing site models, and to start to come up with a design that can be put into my site.

13/03/18

After yesterdays progress tutorial, I decided to base my site on Shoreditch Highstreet station to take some primary pictures for my site analysis. I also decided to look around the surrounding area, as I will be looking at how my redesign of the train station can affect the surrounding area through transport. From doing this, I noticed that there were various transport networks around the station, as well as the station itself. Immediately outside of the station entrance is an underpass that connects to commercial street for pedestrians to have direct walking access to a major road, as well as bike storage for commuters to and from the train station. As well as this, there is also Santander bikes just down the street that are available to rent as part of a scheme, as well as a bus stop outside, that has the number 8 that goes to Bow Church and St Giles Highstreet, the 388, which goes to Stratford city and Elephant and Castle, and the 8 night-bus.

I also looked at the nearby areas of where the train track went, such as box park and Allen gardens, to see how the commutes incorporate the structure of the bridges and railways into everyday life. For brick lane area, it provided a place for colourful graffiti and street art, and the shops at box park are based around this station.

From visiting this site, it has already given me some ideas as to how I can incorporate all types of transport to this station, which will therefore help link it to the surrounding areas.

Having done primary research, I now need to do secondary site analysis by looking at existing maps and plans to start to look at the scale of the site, and how it is used.

8/03/18

At the beginning of the day, we were separated into groups in order to evaluate each others projects and give feedback in the form of SCAMPER, which stands for:

Substitute 

Combine

Adapt

Modify

Put to another use

Eliminate

Reverse

This creates guidelines as to the areas we can give feedback in, such as suggesting new materials, research, or sites relevant to their project, by looking at their sketchbooks and their proposal, we were able to give advice from an outside perspective, which gave a good input into their project. My feedback I received was very helpful, as it provided me with alternate views on my idea, and suggested areas I would have otherwise not have thought to explore, such as taking inspiration from nature in terms of looking at structure and organisms, and linking previous projects into my final outcome. Not only did I find it useful to receive feedback, but I also found it interesting to look at other peoples projects and see what they were doing.

In the afternoon, we looked into planning applications and site analysis, something which I was very interested in, as this related to my project, and the two examples we looked at, which were the Finsbury local plan, and Bankside urban forest, were both on the scale of masterplans, which I was very interested in. We looked at the different variables an architect has to take note of when analysing a site, such as listed buildings and traffic. I liked this talk as it moved away from the design side of architecture, and looked more at the urban, economic and political side of it.

After seeing the various stages everyone else is at with their project, I want to work into my sketchbook more to make it clear what my ideas are, and to now start to pick a site and analyse it.

experiments with scale

experiments with scale

experiments with scale

Pattern making model

5/03/18

Today  we looked at  using patterns inspired by our research, and turning them from 2D sketches into 3D models, then experimenting with scale, and comparing both the form and the narrative behind the design.  We started of with looking at a powerpoint presentation, showing us images from Architect Aldo Van Eyck, a Dutch architect who focused on creating public spaces and parks after WWII who creates 2D patterns that he uses as plans or elevations, which he then brings into 3D format when creating his public spaces. From looking at his drawings and patterns, we were then asked to use this as inspiration, and to look at our own research and pick out interesting shapes and patterns to draw. From my research, I looked at Le Corbusier's 'Ville Radiouse' tower blocks, The futuristic bridges skyscrapers and bridges in New York, as depicted in 1913, and the proposal of Zaha Hadid that aims to create more pedestrian routes. Using these, I created various patterns, using tessellation of the tower blocks, to Ising connective lines inspired by the pedestrian plan, and using the pattern of the bridges to create various designs. From this we were asked to then take these drawings from our sketchbook and carve them onto a piece of paper, cutting out the different patterns. After this we then shaped the paper into a 3D model based on form.

Initially I struggled with this task, as I found it hard to create a pattern that was interesting and that fitted together. I also then found it difficult to take this from 2D to 3D, as it was hard to envision a design that would suit my project of transportation, but I was finally able to work out a design by cutting slits in the paper, and bending them over to create various loops and form a shape, inspired by the Hyperloop and transport links I have been looking into. However, I found it hard to determine a purpose or scale for the model at first, but after experimenting with different scale figures, I was able to find a suitable scale and use for my model based on my project. Since my project is centred around transport, I decided that this model would suit the purpose of being a train station, using smaller scale figures to show the vast space of the atrium, which I was inspired by the likes of Kings Cross and Grand central stations. We were then also asked come up with a narrative for the space and the type of people that would use it, which I thought would be everyday users of trains in London, and making the space connect more people together.

Having done this exercise, I feel that I have learnt a new way of coming up with designs from patterns, and want to research into Aldo van Eyck to learn more about his work, and I want to continue to render my model and come up with different images, such as materials and the flow of people.

research image grouping

research image grouping

26/02/18

After our research week, we presented our research and initial project outline in pairs, and gave each other feedback and suggested different sources for our research, which I found very helpful as I was given an outside input and new ideas, with one of them to look at it from a government point of view, such as the mayor of Londons plans for London transport, which would give me a different political context instead of a design and architecture context.

After this, we were asked to come up with 3 words that would be associated with our projects, and make quick sketch models from these out of paper. My three words for my project were elevated, communal, and linear. My ideas came from ideas such as elevated highways, and different levels of communities and transport, such as straight railway lines. From this we were then asked to experiment with materials and start to try and create our sketch models from materials in the workshop. I chose to create my elevated sketch model out of a wood base, with the elevated section being plastic strips which I had cut, heated up, and bent into shape, to create a network of road like structures elevated above the base, which were set at different levels. This encouraged us to work with materials that we perhaps haven't tried before and start to experiment with different processes.

7/02/18

After having the initial briefing about our project proposals, I decided to start gathering different types of research, and started by visiting the RIBA Exhibition on Georgian architecture, and the Serpentine Gallery, which displayed artist Wade Guyton.

I found that the RIBA exhibition was looking at more of a historical view of Architecture in a certain time period, and how their views of housing and urban layout played a role in the design of Georgian houses and forming a cultural identity through architecture in order to portray British ideals at the time. The exhibition consisted of drawings and sketches made by Georgian Architects, combined with a few models, that started to show their interest in precision, symmetry, and proportion. Whilst I found this exhibition interesting, I don't think that I want to base my project around these aspects from Georgian Architecture, as I am more interested in looking at the future, but it was interesting to see how previous periods dealt with adapting architecture to suit their ideas, as well as their social and cultural ideas.

I thought that the Wade Guyton exhibition was interesting to see his use of both materials, but also how he explores the use of digital technology . This exhibition was a series of images from around New York and at his studio, where he shows how he can take the objects from his studio and make them co-exist with the surrounding landscape of New York in a new habitat of the gallery, with himself stating that this exhibition can be seen as one body of work. His prints mismatch the images, demonstrating new digital printing techniques, as well as changing colours of the images. The subjects of the photos are of internet tabs, tablets and phones, reminding us of the boundaries between digital and physical reality. I found this interesting and would like to look into thinking about digital materials like Guyton, and how I can link them to the physical world.

I also looked in the Serpentine bookshop, where I was able to find a selection of architectural books on different areas that interested me and could help with my proposal, which I can look into in more detail.

1/02/18

Today we started looking at our unit 7 proposals, and started by looking at previous proposals in order to see how they were laid out, and the different types of projects that have been previously done. We were then asked to start brainstorming possible ideas surrounding our own projects.

I found that reading other people proposals helped me understand the range of areas that can be explored, and as well as this we also categorised different areas that could be explored in our projects and were asked to write down different ideas that came to mind for each one. For me, I found that the categories that most appealed to me were materials and technology, communities, and personal interests; as I want to look into something overlapping between communities and technology.

I found that splitting ideas into categories was helpful in order to gain a starting point to find out areas that interest me and areas I would like to explore for this project, as I have always been interested in smart materials and how they can be applied to society in an architectural way.

From here I need start to formulate an idea for my first draft proposal, as well as start to look into my chosen area and conduct primary and secondary research.